Friday, October 2, 2009

Friday Flop

I'm usually a big fan of Fridays. The weekend is only eight hours away, I can wear jeans to work, it's a pretty casual day. I'm not a big fan of being pulled over because I failed to come to a complete stop.

*****Warning: This may cause conflict among my readers that are employed to protect and serve. For that I apologize, but you don't patrol the Kearney streets at 6 am so you are forgiven.****

Let me set the scene for you. It is 6 o'clock in the morning. The streets are bare. I'm driving the one block down my street before I come to a four way stop. Let me remind you that NO ONE is on the street. Not a car, not a pedestrian. Possibly, a tumbleweed. It was windy this morning, you know. I put my foot on the break,press down, look both ways, and proceed to turn left. Before I have a chance to go 500 feet, I see flashing lights in my rearview mirror. I'm thinking, oh, great, what now? My tags are up to date, there was no possibility I was speeding, because I stopped. What does he think I did?

So, a portly police officer comes up to my window and informs me that I failed to come to a COMPLETE stop. (So, the fact is I stopped, right. He said I just didn't make a complete stop.) Then, he asked my why I failed to make a complete stop.

(Okay, so if you know me, mornings and I don't get along well. In fact, I try to avoid talking to people before 10 am because I am quite frankly not the most chipper person to talk to in the morning. Especially, when the sun is not out, yet.) I hold back everything I can, and politely say, "I thought I did." He says, "Okay," in a sing song voice and asks for my license and registration. (On a side note, which I think is hilarious. His walkie comes on and he has to say the random numbers of whatever code it is. I am practically in the police station parking lot. Why couldn't he just go inside and tell them?)

So, I sit and wait as he goes back to his car and runs my information. This seems to take forever, so I clean out my glove box, rearrange my lunchbag, check my phone for messages, write a 3 page letter to a long lost friend. Kidding. I didn't have THAT much time. After an eternity, he comes back and spouts off his spiel on why I got the ticket, I have no other violations, and the whole thing is on video. I was not aware that the Kearney police department had enough money to install cameras in their cars. Of course, there aren't that many squad cars, anyway.

Here comes the best part: the officer asks me how old I am. Did you not just run my license? Did you not just write down my birthdate on the citation? Do you have a short term memory? AGGGH. Its six o'clock in the morning! Do you not know that I do not like to think and answer questions when the sun is not up and I have only been awake for 30 minutes???? Of course, I have to think about this for a second, because all of my questions I just wrote are running through my head. He then asks my to sign the ticket which I can't see because its dark. I have to ask him to hold his light up so I can see the X to sign. Then, he says his closing formalities and tells me to have a good day. Are you kidding me? You just stopped me and gave me a ticket because I failed to make a COMPLETE stop. I stopped! Do you want me to put flares out next time?? I don't even remember what I told him. Maybe, "you, too" or "okay." Once again, it was early!

So, I drive to work with no other complications except for when I get into the parking lot. I don't have an assigned space, but I like to park in the same place everyday. When I get in the parking lot, I see that one of my student's parents has decided to pull into "my" space and wait for my arrival so she can drop off her son. At this point, I'm mumbling not very nice things about that under my breath as I collect my things and go inside. Once inside, I get a call from one of the teachers who informs me he is taking the day off. So, there is two of us, 36 students, and 4 meetings with parents all jam packed into one day. Three thirty could not come any sooner!

Friday is looking a lot like Monday. Here's hoping yours was better!



**On a side note, I do appreciate my readers who are police officers or spouses of police officers. Your job is tough and I pray for your safety. Thanks for keeping the streets and my children safe!**

No comments:

Post a Comment