Monday, September 7, 2009

Labor of love

Only a couple of weeks into the school year and I am relieved with a three day weekend. Isn't it funny how labor day isn't really a labor day at all? (Well, unless you are in labor, but we'll get to that later.) The weekend was jam packed with things to do in the form of fairs, fishing, and relaxing.

Saturday, the James Gang went to SantaCaliGon Days. We basically followed Taylor from ride to ride until we ran out of tickets. He checked out the tires and under the hood on the cars that went around in a circle. I think he didn't get his ticket's worth on the bumblebees. The ride went around maybe two times and then it was over. BOO! Josiah rode with him on the carousel(Baby Siah's first time on a carnival ride.) The big excitement was riding the dinosaur roller coaster. Taylor barely made the height cut off. The sign said to beware of rapid changes in direction. Yeah, right. How rapid can a kiddie coaster be?

After all the rides, we went on a search for some new OU shirts for the boys. We were unsuccessful and I was tired of shopping(which doesn't take much for me. You see, I'm okay if I shop and get what I am in search for, but if I have to shop and come up empty handed I feel like I've wasted my whole day. It's very irritating to me.)



The next day we went to celebrate Nana's birthday. HER birthday was actually on Labor Day. (Ha, had you readers guessing there for a few minutes didn't I? No news here, but it's always fun to keep the readers on their toes.) We packed up our boys and headed to Polo to a private lake to go fishing and have a picnic, but in reverse order. Taylor and I caught a fish with my very first fishing pole I ever had. Still works. Brad even caught a fish. And when I say Brad caught a fish, he was actually patient enough to sit in a lawn chair for about 1 hour and wait for a bite on his line. He did have a little bit of help, though. My dad had brought along a fishing pole stand. All Brad had to do was cast out the line, prop up the pole, and lounge in the chair with his Coke until a fish decided it was hungry enough to eat the worm. I think I had more fun watching Brad go outside of his comfort zone than I did fishing. I'm thinking up new ways to get him to go camping everyday. No hotels, no cell phones, no computers, just the great outdoors. He may not like it, but he's going to try it!

My dad had the big story of the day. He actually caught the big one. This fish jumped out of the water several times and fought my dad all the way to the bank. Everyone at the lake practically came out of the woodwork to see what was on the other end of Dad's line. It was a huge catfish. We don't know how much it weighed because it broke my Dad's scale. According to Mike, it weighed more than a gallon of paint. The final estimate was eight pounds. The fish was huge, folks!

So, after a day of fishing, my parents followed us up to our house and my dad and I cleaned fish. Yes, folks, you read it right : the girl that cannot stand the sight of blood, vomit, or needles cleaned 5 fish that day. This is nothing new, though. I've cleaned trout since I was about 4 years old. I did learn that cleaning perch is nothing like cleaning trout, though. Perch are bony and tough skinned. It wasn't as easy at it looked.

After the carnival and fishing, it was time to just relax at home on Labor Day. Well for me and the two little ones, anyway. Brad thought he needed to go see a guy movie with his dad. More power to ya. I'll stay home and let the kiddos nap and maybe do some laundry.

Finally, we ended our weekend with a dinner from Arby's on the rarely used deck. Our weekend is complete. The only question is, what's on the plans for next weekend? Who knows? When do we ever plan ahead?

No comments:

Post a Comment