Wednesday, August 19, 2009

So, you wanna be a teacher?

I teach students who are "at-risk." This means that these students may have several things batting against them like being a teenage mom, only having one parent or no parents for that matter, living in poverty, or maybe even homeless. While I was working on my Master's, I told one of my fellow classmates(who is a teacher) that I teach at-risk students. She guffawed and told me "all students are at-risk." I'm pretty sure she never had a student come to school the next day who had been shot the day before because he was just walking by. I also bet she never had a student come to school to turn in a research paper even though her little brother had just died due to gang violence. I highly doubt that she has had to come up with six weeks of homework for 3 teenage moms who were on maternity leave. Did I happen to mention that she worked in one of the upper class districts in the area? I was very put off by her attitude towards my job and quite frankly I didn't really spend that much time talking with her as the class went on. My students might fit into her general category of "all students," but it takes some dedication and definite commitment to be a student where I work. The school they attend is pretty much their last chance to prove themselves to all of those who have given up on them. They definitely would benefit from prayer.
I will admit that I had my doubts about my job when I signed my contract. I thought that these kids wouldn't be that much "at-risk." I mean, after all, I work in the Northland. Nothing that bad happens around here, does it? Apparently, it does. Last year was probably one of the toughest years for some of my students. Several of their friends died by accident. By accident, I mean too much of an illegal substance was involved. I'm hoping this year doesn't claim any more.
I've been working with high school students for 2 years now. This has been a very dramatic change from my elementary days, but every once in awhile my days in elementary school reappear as needed-not so much the academics, but the attitude. There is one student in particular that keeps me on my toes. He came to the center due to suspension because he did not get along with a teacher at all. He has been enrolled since the first day the center opened and this is the year he graduates. He can have his up days and his down days, but I make sure that I say something to him everyday. He is also one of the brightest students that I have(along with the most talkative). He is pretty much the reason why I am still teaching at the center. I don't know why I'm so concerned for this student, but for some reason I don't feel that I can stop teaching high school until I see this kid succeed.
So, yes, I may complain about my job, but I like what I do. The hours are good and the vacation time is better than most. Of course, I would really like my job a whole lot better if I could sit at home and teach from my living room through the TV or computer. Any suggestions?

2 comments:

  1. My gut tells me these kids are lucky your in their lives! Keep up the good work. My son is one very lucky guy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like I need an English lesson after reading my comment. Your?? Really? It should be you're!

    ReplyDelete